This page has been created as an outcome of the discussions initiated during the Half-Day Expert Meeting on County Energy Planning in Kenya: Local Participation and Local Solutions which took place on Monday 16th March 2015 at the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), UN Avenue, Gigiri, Nairobi which was organized by our colleagues in the Stockholm Environment Institute and Practical Action. One of the issues raised during the workshop was the need for a website where materials from the event and, even more importantly, about the range of county-level energy-initiatives underway in Kenya could be shared. This page is the result. If you have further materials that you think should be shared here please let us know by emailing Ed Brown (email@example.com) or leaving comments in the box below (where you can also initiate discussions around this theme). We are currently looking to secure further funding to develop more activities around this theme so please do check back on this site frequently for further updates and information about future workshops etc.
1. Materials from the Workshop
The meeting brought together around 60 participants drawn from a variety of sectors (including national and county-level Kenyan authorities, donors, international institutions, national and international NGOs and the universities and research centres) to discuss the implications of Kenyan devolution for energy planning and outcomes in Kenya. Presentations of findings from two research projects were followed by a wide-ranging discussion regarding implications and next steps.
- Presentation by Aloo Aineah, Director of Energy, Migori County Government entitled ‘Energy Planning in Migori County.’
- Presentation by Oliver Johnson, Anne Nyambane, Lloyd George Oito and Emmanuel Cyoy entitled ‘County Energy Planning in Migori: Exploring Opportunities for Participation‘
- Presentation by Ed Brown and Tameezan wa Gathui entitled ‘ The READ Project: An Introduction.’
2. Other Resources
National Level Energy in Kenya
- Kenya Energy Ministry. Links include the Main website, the Renewable Energy Portal and the 2015 Energy Bill.
- The Kenyan Rural Electrification Agency.
- Kenya’s SREP Investment Plan.
- Kenya Climate Innovation Centre.
- GIZ’s promotion of solar-hybrid mini-grids (and guide to site selection).
- ECA Report on Kenya Mini-Grids (includes some discussion of potential county roles)
- Materials from the SE4All Kenya Validation workshop.
Local Off-Grid Energy Initiatives.
- Powergen micro-grid installations.
- Solar nano-grids project.
- The Energy for Development Network Kitonyoni project in Makueni County.
- The Solar Energy Centre project.
- Kenyan Ministry of Devolution and Planning.
- The World Bank support for Kenyan Devolution
- Commission for the Implementation of the Constitution.
Relevant Reports and Articles
- Kevin Kinjanjui (2014) Response strategies to Challenges of Devolved Governance in the Renewable Energy Sector in Kenya (University of Nairobi Masters Thesis).
- Abraham Rugo Muriu (2014) How does Citizen Participation impact Decentralized Service Delivery? Lessons from the Kenya Local Authority Service Delivery Action Plan (LASDAP, 2002-2010).
- Peter Newell, Jon Phillips and Ana Pueyo (2014) The political economy of
low carbon energy in Kenya: Climate Compatible Development in Kenya.
- Transparency International (2014) Devolution Handbook.